Since Maggie was born, I can't help but notice how different people are to those out and about with a little baby. And by different, I mean quite nice. Chilvalry certainly isn't dead, and "do as you'd have done unto you" is alive and well. So many times I have had my hands full of something and with Maggie, and someone will go out of their way to open a door for me, pick something up for me, or help me reach something. It's been so wonderfully nice. It's almost as if most women remember being in this same situation at one point in their lives and want to help, and it's as if most men feel gentlemanly, and decide to help. Somethng like this must happen at least five times per week. A few times, men have actually got up from a seat to help me or have put something down to help me. The other day, I had Maggie in her stroller and I had a few bags in my hand. A guy got up from his chair and opened the door for me. There was another door to go through and he followed me and opened that door too. I couldn't believe it. Then he says "Ma'am, do you need help getting everything to your car?" and I politely said no and thanked him for your help. Maybe I am noticing these things more now that I am practicing engaging in "Five Random Acts of Kindness" each day - or as I refer to them "Five Random Acts of Senseless Kindness." It was sort of a mid-year resolution of mine. And, yes, I can be and am often kind to others :-).
A year ago, one of my friends with two kids said to me that one of the main differences of life with children is that it forces you to become more social. This has certainly held true as well. It doesn't matter where we are or what we are doing, people talk to Maggie first, and then strike up conversations with me or Matt - things like "how old is she?", "I am expecting a grandbaby in a month" (the timeframes always vary), "I remember when mine was that age," and the dreaded "is it a boy or a girl?" My favorite was last weekend at Kohl's in Greenwood, Indiana when a couple with two older kids walked by and the husband said to his wife "That is by far the cutest baby I have ever seen. I mean that is truly a cute baby" I am not kidding - those were his exact words. I couldn't believe it. A perfect stranger with an unbiased opinion.
Back to the kindness thing - last week, when I picked my mom up at the airport, a serviceman was also waiting near her. I have the utmost respect for service men and women, as we have several very good friends who are in the service. This man, looking tired and maybe a little sad, watched me pull to the curb to pick up my mom. Mom, in her excitement to see Maggie, immediately set her suitcase down and opened the back door. I came around the back of my car to get her suitcase and load it up. He walks over and says "I'll put that in your car for you, ma'am." I thought, here is this guy - looking completely worn out - and he wants to help me. I politely replied "I appreciate your offer, but I will do it because you have done so much for me already. Thanks for everything you do." I really wanted to launch into a conversation with him and tell him about our two really good friends in Iraq and our other friends who work so hard and sacrifice so much for the greater good, but it seemed like he understood that I was trying to say thanks. I hope he had a good visit to Indy because he certainly deserves it.
Sunday, November 18, 2007
The Kindness of Strangers
I am rambling but here's my point - this Thanksgiving, as well as the rest of this year, we have felt especially grateful for the kindness of others. And, you're probably thinking, jeez Kim - it would have been kind of you to get to your point much quicker. Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving, and all our love!
Posted by kmiloch at 6:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment